Monday, July 2, 2007

Martha's visit to the Florence Griswold Museum, July 1

This past Sunday, July 1st, I took a trip with my daughter to the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme. We specifically went on Sunday because you can get painting supplies, including a canvas, from the education center and go where ever you want on the grounds to paint. Sunday was a perfect day, it was so nice out and the grounds are stunning. I did not expect to see so many flower beds in one place. I did not think to ask if any part of the flower garden was put in by Florence Griswold. We got all of our supplies together and headed down to the Lieutenant River to find a nice spot to sit and paint. It was so nice not to feel rushed, my children are generally not interested in looking at paintings with me. My son was saved by a buddy for some afternoon baseball time, he was thrilled he did not have to go. I’m really hoping they will both have some memory of the museums we have been to when they are in school and want me to take them to a museum. I’m hoping for the “mom, remember that museum with tons of steps, where was that, can we go again?” conversation. I had fun with my daughter trying to remember what colors are made by mixing other colors together. We tried to make brown and ended up with a gray/purple color.


Everyone I encountered at the museum was very helpful. I had explained to the very nice lady in the lobby of the main building that I was there for a class but understood that picture taking was not allowed. She told me to write down anything of interest and she would help me find them in a book so that I could take a picture of the painting form one of the books. I thought that was very helpful. They also gave my daughter a flip book of images to “spy” while we walk around. She actually found a couple of things and had fun with it.
The painting of interest to me was the Bow Bridge, painted by Edmund Greacen. What caught my eye was that he was what appeared to be a “local” artist. This painting reminded me of a perfect, relaxing, summer day. This painting is very soothing and warm as well as cheerful. I felt like I could have stepped into the painting and walked along the dirt road. When I came out and asked about the painting, of course, this patricular painting is one of the ones that is new to the gallery so they did not have any pictures of it. However the helpful lady had explained to her co-worker that I was there for a class and he suggested that he walk in with me so that I could take a picture!



Edmund Greacen (1877 - 1949)

Bow Bridge Lyme Ct. Ca. 1912

Oil on canvas


The Bow Bridge covered the Lieutenat River and was a favorite of the artists visiting Lyme in the early 1900’s. Greacen was different from most painters of the colony’s 2nd decade, in that he moved away from gestural impressionism toward tonalism in his painting of the Bow Bridge. In this painting the colors are blended softly to form colors that harmonize with the colors of the bridge and road. It is noted on the caption for this painting that this is the artists vision of a summer day. Part of the history of the original Griswold House was that an artist would invite another artist to the Inn to paint a picture to add to one of the empty slots in the dining room. Although Greacen was a regular at the Inn in the summer time he did not add a panel to any of the empty slots in the Groswold house dining room.

Here is a little bit of history behind Tonalism. In the early 1900’s, Lyme was known as the Lyme Art Colony. This art colony was formed by Henry Ward Ranger. He believed that they were forming a new school of painting in America. These artists were united by their joint interest in painting “rural life with great sensitivity and personal feeling”. These artists were recognized as Tonalists. This style grew in America from the 1880’s to the early 1900’s. This style is typically noted for the use of harmonious colors and delicate effects of light used to create, unclear, suggestive moods.
I was advised by the nice person who let me take the picture to go to the main house to see more paintings of the Bow Bridge and Edmung Greacen paintings.

When I made my way to the original Inn, looking for more Edmund Greacen paintings, the docent told me that it is often said “did the Bow Bridge make the artist or if the artist made the Bow Bridge famous.”

I hope you have all enjoyed my trip to the Florence Griswold Museum. I could go on and on about the history surrounding it. It really was great! Here are a few more pictures from my visit.



The main Griswold House


The main museum from a different angle.


My favorite artist finished her painting :o)
The river behind my daughter is the Lieutenant River.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Wonderful Martha! I'm so glad you took your daughter on a Sunday and had such a great day together. I am so glad that you worked with the museum personnel to make your visit there more productive and meaningful.

The docents do know much about the collections they teach about... First time visitors will all have a much better experience if they take a tour or in your case have them help you personally with your project.

Here is a great summation of the Lyme Art Colony

http://www.flogris.org/learning/foxchase/html/essay_colony.php

Wikipedia defines Tonalism as "Tonalism (about 1880 to 1915) is an artform getting its beginnings from the 1880s when American painters began to produce paintings in which landscape forms are painted with an overall tone of colored atmosphere or mist. Usually dark, neutral hues, such as gray, brown or blue, would dominate such compositions. During the late 1890s American art critics began to use the term tonal to describe these works. ..."

The Griswold is one of the great treasures open to the public in Connecticut.