Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum

I visited this museum Saturday July 7th, it was a beautiful day for a long drive. When I first walked into the museum I was surprised by how Small it was. However, this museum was very different from any of the other museums I had visited. Although there was not a lot on display, I felt that the goal of some of the room set ups were geared toward making the visitor think, and leave the room with a new realization about the pieces of art on display along with feeling calm and relaxed. The museum did not allow pictures inside, as a work around, I took pictures of the pieces on display from the pamphlets that were available.

Here are some pictures of the outside of the museum.

Outside there were some interesting plaques on the grounds.

This one was an eye opener. I hear about medications being unaffordable on the news. This plaque made it feel more real and disturbing.


Global warming is all around us. I often wonder what the effects will really be when the polar ice caps melt at a faster rate. I really felt that this plaque was sad. I hope that this soldier is at least doing well if he is not already home.

This piece got my attention, it is right on the wall. The artist focuses on geometric form.


Mary Judge
Untitled Wall Drawing Ad101, 2007
Powdered pigment on wall
Courtesy of the artist and Metaphor Contemporary Art, Brooklyn



The artist has made three-dimensional works since the late 1990's. The pieces on display are from her Segmented Form Series.

Mary Judge

Segmented Form Series No. 102, 2007

12 Cast concrete sections


Mary Judge

Exotic Hex Series no. 101-107, 2007

Powdered pigment on 100% rag paper


David Abir
Tekrar
2004-2005

"The artist uses sound, light and building materials to create a space that is meant to involve you, the viewer, both physically and emotionally." When I walked into the room there was soothing sound, colored light shifts and a structure in the wall that you would walk up to. As I was walking up to it I couldn't tell if it was going to be a "play on lights" reflection or a cut out in the wall. This type of art is visual. I will not tell just in case anyone is going to be seeing this. The one emotion that I did feel was that reality was far away.












Neil Jenny
Baseball is Drama Constructed, 2000
Shelved silkscreen on primed canvas

I was in touch with this after my son's baseball game today. Way to much drama between the coaches. Lots of bad plays due to poor communication.





Neil Jenny
Idealism is Unavoidable, 2000
Shelved silkscreen on primed canvas

Neil Jenny

North American Aquatica (detail), 2006-07

Oil on wood in artist's frame


With this piece I was surprised when I walked up to it that the parts painted orange were not depicting a fire. They are leaves. Reminded me of fall that is coming all to quickly.





The room with the W(E)AVE's in it was really amazing. The music and lighting was so soothing. It was almost like being in an old large southern house. This room made me look and listen. The music had running water combined with music you would hear in a massage room, it was very light so it made me listen. The two artists collaborated on the W(E)AVE project specifically for the Aldrich Museum. Elana Herzog designed the weaves and Michael Schumacher did the sound compositions.



W(E)AVE

Elana Herzog and Michael Schumacher, 2006
Carpet, bedspread, blankets, staples on drywall


Arturo Herrera

Keep in Touch Set #5, 2004

Mixed media on paper

According to the pamphlet "Herrera uses fragments of well-known imagery in his abstract work." I looked and looked at this and came up with nothing familiar. What do you see?

Michael Somoroff
Illumination I, 2006 - 2007
Sculpture: resin, fiberglass, lime cement, pulverized marble

This sculpture was absolutely bold and beautiful on a bright summer day. The artist began working on Illumination I in 2004 after the Rothko Chapel in Houston asked him to propose a project for the Chapel's grounds. Somoroff is primarily a photographer.


3 comments:

Jerry said...

This is quite a good and exhaustive survey of the major offerings at the Aldrich right now. I love that museum for it's scale and committment to showing only new, emerging art for the most part. They do not collect anything and that brings a freshness to the experience of going there.

Nice job.

Martha Alden Schuler said...

Hi Jerry,
I corrected a few of the pictures that were dark (ex. WEAVE)

Jerry said...

Great, thanks.